Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1- The Introduction

I am starting this blog as a New Year's Resolution. In my adult life, I cannot remember having a New Year's Resolution. This is a subject I am passionate about and I hope in the next year you will enjoy reading the stories of our lives.

Let me introduce you to my family:

Zach is my husband. We have been married for nine years. The day we got married we pledged to be together "No Matter What". This has been in our hearts for many years and recently we have extended that verbally to our children.

Austin is my oldest. He is nine and in the third grade. He loves to play baseball and work on 'scientific stuff'. Although he will not be the focus of this blog, it is important for you to know that he has ADHD. He loves his brothers, but doesn't understand why Tanner is different and embarrassing.

Tanner is my middle child. He is six years old and is in the first grade. He will be the focus of the blog. On September 10, 2009 he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Asperger's in on the autism spectrum. This came after many years of trying to figure out why he was so difficult to deal with. I will go more into detail on his diagnosis and the signs we missed throughout the year. He loves playing baseball and watching TV, playing video games and just being at home.

Trey is my youngest child. He just turned 18 months. Although he isn't old enough to be a part of the wonder of Asperger's you will hear about him from time to time.

My name is Stephanie. I am a stay at home mom. I stay very active in our church, the boys elementary school. I recently watched a movie that inspired me to write this blog. I am going to commit to one year of writing, with the exception of a couple of days in June you will receive a new post everyday.

I hope that my stories can inspire each of you to follow your heart and be passionate about something. 1 in 94 children are diagnosed with Autism and 1 in 51 boys. That means in our elementary school alone there are approximately 8 children with and ASD (autism spectrum disorder). It also means that everyone in this world knows someone with autism. For me I never thought that it would be my son.

Wish me luck! This is a tremendous task that I am about to take on, however, I believe that this is the first step in raising awareness.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm so glad you are going to do this and I look forward to following you through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your commitment and your desire to raise awareness about your son's diagnosis. This is very inspiring!! What book did you read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the words of encouragement, be sure and pass this along to anyone you feel might enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete