Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 2- The Sleepover

I realized around lunch today that this is going to be harder than I thought. My main thought was to focus each day on one 'incident' in our lives and let you feel what we feel going through it. But by lunch we had three key Asperger's quirks that had come up. I only have 365 days to get you to feel what we feel, so how can I only focus on ONE a day! There is no way. I will plug on though and hope that in this short amount of time, you will have the opportunity to spend just a few moments each day in our shoes.

Last night, one of my best friends invited the oldest two boys over for a sleepover. Their family has boys the same ages as ours and they frequently play sports together. What she didn't know was that this was my middle boy's first time to spend the night away from family. Yes he has spent the night with grandparents and Aunt/Uncle's. But this was his first REAL sleepover. I will admit that Mommy was more nervous than he was. He was just excited to be included for once. His older brother has been taking part in this ritual for several years now and he has not thought it was 'fair'.

Fair.... that's a word we use a lot around our house. Whenever one child for whatever reason thinks something is not fair, they express their feelings to us. This is a word you need to file in your bank for later posts.

He made it through the night fabulously! No hiccups that I will ever know about (thanks to my dear friend). But this morning when I went to pick him up. The look of excitement and wonder in his eyes was priceless! He hasn't stopped talking about his sleepover all day! Thank you dear friend for making a difference in his life. Though you might thought it was small, he will remember drinking root beer floats and watching the movies for the rest of his life! And the love your kiddos show our entire family is so amazing! God has great things planned for your family, of that you can be sure!

We are all ready for school to start back up in two days. Whether the boys want to admit it or not they each enjoy school in their own way. For the oldest boy, it's a chance not to spend twenty four hours with his brother. For the middle boy, it means routine. He doesn't understand why, but his body thrives on the routine of the day.

Routine is around the corner in two short days!

No comments:

Post a Comment